Tuesday 11 September 2018

WATU - Western Approaches Museum at Liverpool

Hats of to the volunteers from DSTL, the RN, the RCN, the Defence Academy and the ubiquitous PaxSims gurus for helping create this event. Something I would have loved to have seen in the flesh but the write-up is almost as good as being there (see link below):

https://paxsims.wordpress.com/2018/09/08/watu-wargame-report/
Visiting this museum is on my "bucket list".

Like the organisers I truly believe WATU was an astounding "one of a kind" establishment. It being a very important cog in the machinery that helped win The Battle of the Atlantic by bringing together the men and material (or true operational characteristics of the machinery) together with sound operational tactics in a unique gladiatorial training arena. It even broke down the prejudicial barriers of the sexes - woman (WRENS) doing "more than a mans work". The softer feminine assistance (see the Cruel Sea) during the game helped the learning experience. Although undoubtedly a high pressure environment for the officers, WATU was still "a safe place to train" in the Constructivist Psychology sense of the word, before meeting the real adversarial enemy who asked for and took no quarter.

If you wish to see the other side of the tale, take a trip on the Mersey Ferries to see U-534 recovered from the seabed lodged at the Woodside Ferry Terminal, something I was able to do last Father's Day (see below, OK sad dad that I am I got a "tank ruler" and "Tommy tea mug" as well, a triple win):


Now I will have to check out my naval wargames collection now for a U-Boat convoy battle game, I think I have copy of AH Submarine somewhere. It would be interesting to contrast the "after the battle" thoughts on simulation with the "in-period" artefact to see how close or far apart they are.

No comments: