Wednesday 5 September 2018

The Rule of Wargaming - Borrowed from Wargaming Miscelleny

The First Rule:
‘Nothing can be done contrary to what could or would be done in actual war.'
- From 'The Rules of the Naval War Game' by Fred T Jane

The Spirit of the Wargame:
‘Wargames are played, for the most part, without the supervision of an umpire. The game relies on the integrity of the individual players to show consideration for other players and to abide by the rules. All players should conduct themselves in a disciplined manner, demonstrating courtesy and sportsmanship at all times, irrespective of how competitive they may be. This is the spirit of the wargame.’
- Adapted from 'The Spirit of the Game' in 'The Rules of Golf' as published by the R&A Ltd.

2 comments:

Independentwargamesgroup said...

One could write an entire book regarding what is the 'spirit' of wargaming and how the game should be conducted.Being of a certain age I like to think I can handle defeat pretty well and in fact there have been games where losing became an enjoyable experience but I sometimes worry [only slightly] about how younger gamers handle this concept.

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

I echo your sentiments

I may sound "anti-competition wargamer" but I think the expectation in gaming should be "I can lose" so I best prepare myself psychologically for that eventuality.

Battles are seldom fair and equal sides, in fact it is a sign of a poor general that elects to fight when he has an advantage.

The wargamer often learns more through his losses than wins .. even "who he would rather play (or lose to)". It may be an age things (nurture) or a (nature) attribute of the person.

It has taken me a fair while to find my tribe and I hope I can take losing as well as winning in my stride

Best Wishes